Thursday, December 3, 2009

I Wish I Had Cable

Not all the time, but every once in a while.

Like when people like Michael Specter are going to be on The Daily Show with John Stewart.

I am in the middle of Mr. Specter's book "Denialism," and I am finding it really interesting, even as it challenges me and my organic food sensibilities. I'll have more to say about the book when I am done, but here are a couple of choice quotes:

"Denialism is not green or religious or anti-intellectual, nor is it confined to utopian dreamers, agrarians, or hippies. It is not right- or left-wing; it is a fear expressed as frequently and with as much fervor by Oxford dons as by bus drivers." (Introduction, page 12)

"Fear is more infectious than any virus, and it has permitted politics, not science, to turn one of the signature achievements of modern medicine into fodder for talk show debates and marches on Washington." (Vaccines and the Great Denial, page 62)

He's on the show tonight. Watch it for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hulu.com rocks...

http://www.hulu.com/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart