Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Strong to the Finach

Pete thinks that this is a rather grandiose claim, but I truly believe that I was the only person on the planet, this morning, who was carrying on an internal medley of tunes from the 1980 film "Popeye" while I primped for work. I don't know where these tunes came from, why they were there this morning, but now I need to see the movie again. You remember it, don't you? It was bleak and purposefully unattractive and profoundly weird. And I loved it. I watched it over and over again on Showtime in the early 80's, strangely compelled by this noncartoony cartoon movie. Its sensibility is Victoriana meets Gilliam, the cast is well-placed in their roles, and the songs, well, clearly the songs stuck with me. "Sweet, Sweet Haven/God must love us..."

Pete may have just earned himself an evening of spinach and Altman.

"Children. Bless their little hearts, if they was really made out of gold, I'd like to sell'em on the open market. I could make me a fortune."--Poopdeck Pappy

No comments: